Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Peds SIM Reflection

I feel like, overall, my encounter went okay. There were definitely some areas where I could have improved. I feel like I went through all of my information quick and maybe didn't give myself enough time to really see if she understood what I was saying. She seemed very nervous and I don't feel like I addressed her feelings maybe as much as I should have.

If I could go back and do something differently, I would try to be more understanding when she seemed like she was about to cry. I also would have maybe brought up her constantly checking her phone, now that I have had time to reflective about how I would address it.

Two ways you can show a caring attitude towards your client is by being aware of your positioning and allowing them time to express their feelings and validating their feelings so they know they have been heard. Positioning is very important; making sure you are making eye contact and your body language shows that you are engages and interested. No slumping or body being turned away from the client because these automatically make the client feel as if you are not listening to them. Validating their feelings and actually listening to them is also very important. giving them time to express their concerns and frustrations and maybe let them vent to you is important for building a therapeutic relationship. It is also important to let them know that it is okay for them to be experiencing the feelings they are feeling, and that they should not be ashamed. Doing these things shows them that you care about them and their feelings and that they are not just another "patient."

I think I will take from this lab more about how emotional it can be working with a family. I feel like now that I have been exposed to it, I feel more confident in that situation for when I experience that in  practice. I know it is something I need to work on, but I feel better now that I have had a dry run with it and can see where I need to focus on improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self-Reflection Following Interview

 I feel like I did very well throughout the interview. I believe I was able to display and show my personality and my love for the setting I...