Monday, August 26, 2019

Media Project Reflection

I think the most meaningful thing I learned through this assignment was just the endless amount of ways you could take something as meaningless as an empty soda bottle and turn it into something beneficial for someone. I also think it is amazing to see just how many ways you can fit an item to a person in relations to their diagnosis, their needs, and who they are as a person.

I didn't realize before this assignment just how complex a diagnosis can be and just how specific an occupational therapist really has to focus on when planning interventions. Barbara, my client, not only had less strength in her upper and lower body, but also fatigued easily. When it came to designing an intervention, that was something I had to consider was that she fatigued easily and couldn't be up standing and moving around for a long period of time. It is like a puzzle and you are trying to make that last piece fit in; you have to figure out the "just right challenge."

Completing this assignment made me really feel like I was in the mindset of an occupational therapist. I really felt my OT think kick in when I was thinking of the different ways to use a plastic soda bottle. Making it into a craft, which was something that she enjoyed doing, and turning the empty bottle into a flowerpot that could be enjoyed by not just herself but also her family was a way to address her goals and do something that kept her interest. I think this assignment helped me shift my headspace into thinking of an OT more so than just a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self-Reflection Following Interview

 I feel like I did very well throughout the interview. I believe I was able to display and show my personality and my love for the setting I...